Camrose Football Club



36 36


 Camrose 1 St Clears 0 - Super Sub Sable Strikes


Mid-way through the second half of this First Division clash, the sun broke through the cloud covered skies like a spotlight on the Camrose ground. As if on cue, home substitute John Sable, entered the fray and proceeded to play a starring role by scoring the only goal of the game.


Before he scored that all-important winner, the wind had spoilt this match as a spectacle and because of it, both teams failed to put their chances away. With the previous two weeks of football washed out due to the recent storms, both sides may have been a little rusty.


Camrose played with the wind in the first half and had enough possession to really put this game beyond doubt. They were the ones that played the football, attacking at every opportunity as the visitors sat back to defend their goal.


In Mike Venables, Camrose have a star in the making. The diminutive striker was a constant thorn in the Saints side as he proved that there is no substitute for pace, by scorching past the defence time and time again. The fact that he failed to score was down to visiting keeper Jason Windsor, who made a couple of close range saves to deny him any goals. Venables also delivered a series of fine crosses but sadly for him, and the Camrose team, no-one could really get on the end of them.


Chris Watts tried a speculative shot from distance for Camrose that flew inches over the bar and Dai Davies, another one for the future, shot just wide from a corner.


St Clears also had their chances in the first half with Eddie Wiggins looking their most dangerous player by having a shot well saved. But perhaps the best chance of a goal fell to Marco Siso, who saw his well-struck, curling free-kick, fly over the defensive wall, just past the uprights as Windsor was left stranded.


Scoreless at the interval, St Clears would have had high hopes of sneaking a first win of the season with the strong wind at their backs. They started the half brightly, with Mark Snelling going desperately close after they were awarded a free-kick for hand ball, and Paul Edwards heading the ball inches over the bar, from a corner soon after. The game needed something to bring it into life and home manager Bob Nelson had the answer in substitute John Sable.


Replacing the lively Steve James, the youngster was only on the field for a matter of minutes when he was put through by Venables and with the defence rushing at him, he nonchalantly chipped the keeper from distance.


Soon after and Windsor was pressed into action again as Venables sped away from the covering defence and unleashed a powerful shot that was well-saved.


It proved to be Camroses last chance of the game as the remainder of the half belonged to the Saints who tried valiantly to grab an equaliser. They deserved one in the final moments when Charlie Smith went close with a header following a good build up, but it wasnt to be, and it was Camrose who walked away with the points.





Camrose halt slide


Saundersfoot 0 Camrose 5 CAMROSE stopped their slide towards the wrong end of the table with a vital five goal win away at basement side Saundersfoot.


The visitors had slipped to one place above the relegation zone before Saturday and needed a victory to kick-start 2005.


Saundersfoot have shown superb battling qualities in recent weeks and it took almost half-an-hour for Chris Watts' men to breakthrough.


Adam Hawkins scrambled the ball home after Mike Venables' shot thumped off the post.


One goal became two before the break.


Hawkins was again the right man in the right place at the right time to beat Sports' James Caine.


His hat-trick followed in the second-half after some great flowing football down the left-hand side.


Aaron Devine's deflected effort found its way past Caine for number four and Adi Roberts got in on the action with the fifth, turning in a Lee Carruthers cross.


It was an important win for Camrose but with Neyland winning against Herbrandston things are becoming very tight at the bottom.


Saundersfoot Sports: James Caine, Andy Hughes, Dylan Umanee, Daniel Brace, Peter Rattenbury, Lee Watkins, Ian Morris, Oliver Talkington, Steve Ruff, Barry Harrison, David Douglas-Law. Subs: John Watkins.


Camrose: Andrew Mathias, Martin Rowlands, Matthew Ralph, Sammy Lee, Jonathan Sable, Aaron Devine, Gareth Williams, Adrian Haworth, Mike Venables, Adi Smith, Adam Hawkins. Subs: Lee Carruthers, Robbie Gould, Adi Roberts.


 Goodwick United 0 Camrose 2 Referee: Richard Stephens


Camrose manager Bob Nelson received the best welcome home present following a recent holiday abroad as his side caused the shock of the day by beating Goodwick away from home.


Sean OConnors men may well have been suffering from a hangover following last weekends disappointing defeat in the semi-final of the senior cup against Narberth, but they started the better of the two sides as they created chance after chance.


Steve Summers had two chances to put his team ahead in the first half but shot wide on both occasions with only keeper Trevor Wright to beat and such was their dominance that OConnor wasnt too worried at all going into the break even after Camrose striker Adi Smith, who was playing his first game back since January, put the visitors ahead with a breakaway goal.


But it all went pear shaped for the homesters after the break. Gone was the free-flowing football that dominated their game in the first half and in came a disjointed performance that leaves the North Pembrokeshire giants without having scored a goal in three weeks.


John Bailey and Summers almost went close for them but again they failed to hit the target, while Camrose continued to plod away with Matthew Goddard and Chris Owen starting to dominate in midfield.


They finally put the game beyond doubt when speedy right winger Mike Venables delivered a cross into the box which was met by Eddie Cahill who slammed the ball into the back of the net.


Thereafter and Steve James and Cahill both had chances to score again when they had one on ones with James Gwilt, but neither could find a way past the ace keeper although Nelson wasnt complaining as he said after the game: The second half performance was good, we battled hard. This was our first win at Goodwick for eight years so it was very pleasing.


Haworth's brilliant goals seal it for Camrose


Football - Pembrokeshire League Division One: NEYLAND 2 CAMROSE 5 ADRIAN Haworth rolled back the years with two superb goals to help Camrose seal victory at plucky Neyland.


The veteran midfielder is probably the most highly decorated player in the county after successful spells with Fishguard Sports, Merlins Bridge and Hakin United when those clubs were in their prime.


Haworth proved that in his late thirties he has lost none of his zest and quality. He unleashed an unstoppable 18th minute edge-of-area shot which flew into Patrick Hannon's top left hand corner of the net to put the visitors two up.


On the hour mark, with the scores at 2-1, he struck again with an even better effort. A 25 yard screamer again flew into the top corner and that really did put the Nomads on the back foot. Just when they seemed to be back in this league tussle.


The home side played some attractive stuff but they lacked that killer instinct in the final third and that proved the difference.


Neyland 'keeper Patrick Hannon unceremoniously brought down Adie Smith for a definite penalty in the 15th minute. Smith dusted himself off and duly drilled home left-footed to give his side the lead.


Haworth extended his side's lead with his first beauty and then Neyland pressed relentlessly for the remainder of the half without success.


Jason Phillips spurned numerous opportunities in front of goal and one of his efforts was dramatically cleared off the line by Camrose right back Nicky Elliott.


Wayne Parry was desperately unlucky not to open the Nomad's scoring account when his powerful header from inside the box crashed against the crossbar.


Five minutes after the restart Neyland deservedly reduced the deficit.


A well delivered Gideon Hockin corner was perfectly met by a firmly planted Wayne Parry header.


Ten minutes later and man of the match Haworth struck with an absolute scorcher which saw the net bulging.


There then followed a fifteen minute spell which Neyland defender Jarred Campbell will quickly want to forget.


First Adam Hawkins' firm shot sliced off the side of Campbell's outstretched boot and ended up in the back of the net to put the visitors 4-1 ahead.


Five minutes later the unfortunate Campbell got dispossessed just inside his own half. He paid the ultimate price as Adie Smith broke clear and drilled his effort into the bottom corner to extend the lead.


Around the 80th minute Neyland's Adam Larosa was pushed inside the box, and referee Paul Jackson immediately pointed to the spot.


Campbell took responsibility but embarrassingly skied his spot kick over the top. With just two minutes remaining the Nomads did finally add to there scoring tally. Replacements Joe Char-lton and Mike Beavis combined and the latter neatly tucked the ball past 'keeper Matthew Mathias.


But in the end it was a classic case of too little too late for the poor old Nomads.




Pembrokeshire Football League Division One CAMROSE 3 MILFORD UNITED 1


GROUND conditions made it tough going for both sides, but it was Camrose who made the most of the few chances arising at Folly Field on Saturday, writes Julie Taylor.


Adam Hawkins wasted no time in putting the home side ahead when the deadly striker struck in the 10th minute.


A James Stanmore attempt for Milford hit the post allowing Camrose to take advantage of the momentary disbelief to take the ball straight to the opposite end of the field where Hawkins' predatory instinct did the trick.


Both teams capitalised on their opposition's errors to seize the ball, but neither side was able to convert this into goal scoring opportunities.


Midfielder Luke Morrissey was in the right place at the right time to put the home side two up on 36 minutes.


The increased lead resulted in a fresh push from the Robins who were determined to score before half time.


But their goal was not to come until the opening minutes of the second half, when Joff Lennon found the back of the Andrew Mathias net.


Camrose were quick to reply and restore their two-goal cushion after Gethin Roberts set up Dave Mallin, who confidently despatched the ball beyond the despairing clutches of visiting custodian Andy Carridge.


A saturated pitch, cold wind and fading light saw both teams make substitutions as the conditions took their toll on players in the last 30 minutes.


But fresh players did little to invigorate the match with the score remaining at 3-1.


Shortly after the final whistle, Camrose's veteran defender Dave Mallin said he was pleased with the win if not with the performance of the team.


Robins' player/manager Andrew Burgoyne was also critical of his side attributing the loss to a lack of good, basic football.


CAMROSE: Andrew Mathias, Mark Corby, Matthew Freeman, Dave Mallin, Gareth John, Steve James, Luke Morrissey, Christian Griffiths, Adam Hawkins, Gethin Roberts, Arran Devine. SUBS: Lee Carruthers, Sam Lee, Dai Davies.


MILFORD UNITED: Andrew Carridge, Neil Mathias, Christopher Davies, Steve Kenyon, Andrew Burgoyne, Martin Mathias, James Stanmore, Anthony Patterson, Mathew Charnley, Joff Lennon, Lee McNeil. SUBS: Adrian Roberts, Jason Warlow, Simon Rutherford. REFEREE: Steve Williams.